Friday, April 25, 2014

Where is that?

You wouldn't be the only one who asked... 

Mozambique is in Southeast Africa. North of South Africa. South of Tanzania. And across some water from Madagascar.


In case you all wondered what I am getting myself into, I'll give you some basic information about Mozambique:
Moçambique was a Portuguese colony but gained independence in 1975. 
They speak Portuguese--exciting for me since I speak a decent amount of Spanish which will make picking up Portuguese a little quicker and easier. They also speak Makua and I'm sure I will have a bunch of children willing to teach me some.
Climate is tropical to subtropical. Think 90-100 for a good portion of the year. But without A/C. Winter will be in the 70s and around 50 at night. All you Texans can somewhat relate but I'm sure you will all appreciate the luxury of A/C a little more when you think of us!
Main issues faced by the people include waterborne diseases (more frequent during drought and dry seasons)--these are preventable and unfortunately can kill in 3 days or less; malaria; drought which leads to crop loss which leads to malnutrition and starvation; AIDS virus is prevalent--Mozambique is #5 in the world with people living with AIDS although population-wise they are #51.The maternal mortality rate in Mozambique is 490/1000, In the United States 21/1000. In the Mozambique, the infant mortality rate is 72.42/1000, In the United States, 6.17/1000. 
Feel free to check these facts out and more at The World Factbook.

I wanted to give you a point of reference. We are incredibly blessed. It is only by the grace of God that we live in the US and we don't have to worry near as much about these realities for our families and friends. 
I also tell you this so that you know how to pray for us. 
 
And here is an idea of what I get to be a part of: 





4 comments:

  1. "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." (Numbers 6:24-26)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda! I'm so thankful for the work of the Lord in my life and how He has placed incredible people (a.k.a. YOU) in my life to encourage me as I follow Him.

      Delete
  2. You are awesome! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eman! It means a lot that you would read--and then post on my blogs. God is good and I'm humbled that He would use me, so I will share my experiences. Hopefully they will encourage others.

      Delete