Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September ten

Manduin is the snack of choice here, by us and the Mozambicans. It seems every time I am at an event someone hands me a small handful of freshly shelled nuts. Ashlynn and I joined Jose, Armando, Paulo and Dominica to shell and visit. It's fun to sit with them, listen to them talk in Macua and try to figure out what they are saying. They are very welcoming and always smiling and laughing.
A little later we ventured outside the gates of the missions compound we took a left and walked towards Balbina's home. We passed some children, greeting them with a "bom dia" or "salama." I always have to stop and shake the hands of every willing child; a high-five also suffices. I hope that I never get so caught up in things to fail to do so. There is something very special in touching their hands. I want to be their friend. They just melt my heart. And I admit, I feel famous and it's sweet to be known by all the kids. I believe that it is through our love that many see the love of Jesus and I hope I do Him justice.
We walked into a gate to several bright blue buildings and four little voices calling "Keitee", "Ashtonee". They were sitting in the shade on the edge of the building holding some used 'Shake it Up" tennis shoes with glitter shoelaces trying to figure out how to put the laces in. We sat and talked but mostly we just smiled and played clapping games.

Then we went to Ernestina's house. I've been dying to go visit ever since she got a baby last week. I had malaria though and was confined home to rest and recover. Baby Daniel is adorable. He is a sweet baby. I held him last week when his uncle and cousin brought him to us since his aunt couldn't care for him anymore. The moment he was placed in my arms and he didn't cry I knew he loved me. When I saw Esperança and Pedrito yesterday I asked about their new baby brother and they said he was a good eater--he is on his third can of formula and it hasn't been quite a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment