Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Malaria


So, I figured I would get malaria sometime while I was in Mozambique, I had hoped I would be a good way into the year before that happened, it was 3 1/2 weeks exactly.
Thursday morning we walked to the center for food distribution and I was freezing! I was wearing warm leggings under my skirt as well as long sleeves and a jacket. I was still cold so I was standing in the sun which still wasn't warming me up. After food distribution Hannah and I sat in the sun outside of our house and then my head started hurting. I knew what my diagnosis was about to be. At lunchtime the food made me feel nauseous and I told Brenda that I had a headache, she touched me and said I had a fever. She immediately told me to sit down and to drink some mango juice. That's a treat because we don't have sweets that often except a little bit of canned fruit salad for dessert. She gave me my first dose of medicine and Hannah came to get me settled in. She was so kind and thought of everything that I could possibly need: cold water to soak my feet in, cold compresses, a comfortable chair, books, games, etc. she would leave to help Brenda with stuff but came very often to make me coolaid or tea and to update me on all of the news and adventures of the day.
I don't have migraines so I don't know what they feel like, but people say that a malaria headache is like a migraine. You also have body aches and a fever. Some strains of it will also cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea--I did not have that one, thankfully! The best cure is to rest, and to eat and drink lots of sweets. They are no treat anymore! I don't want anything with sugar in it for a long time!
My wonderful housemate Hannah was the drink enforcer because you just get tired of drinking all the time! Obviously it means you have to use the facilities more often which is complicated mosquito nets that trap you in bed, no plumbing and flashlights. Not the end of the world though--everything that we face could be worse. That can pretty much be said by anyone anywhere.
She also woke up two-three times during the night. Once to give me medicine(and make me drink something) and then again to remind me to drink something. And in the evenings she would keep me company and we would chat or play family feud. But I was pretty boring for those three days.
This morning, Sunday, I woke up feeling great. The sun didn't make my head hurt, I wasn't so lightheaded when I stood up for more than a few minutes and my fever was gone. So happy!
I am a little weak still but should be completely back to normal in a few days after my red blood cells replenish. I wasn't allowed to go to church which I was sooo sad about because it's "papa Eric's" last Sunday here. I could hear singing from my room but it's not even close to the same. Hannah told me all about it when she got back and how they had sung some special songs for him. So sweet. He was really happy about to when I asked him at lunch. Right after church Nelson stopped by and said hi and asked how I was and he picked up a bike. A few minutes later Fred came over(sooo many visitors!), he came in and said he wanted to pray for me. He and Hannah put their hands on me and he  prayed for me(in Portuguese) to recover quickly. It was the sweetest thing and made me feel extra loved and welcomed here.

Here is my buddy for the day. I was ordered to take it easy but allowed to attend preschool. This little guy seemed a little sad and when I walked up to him he grabbed my hand and wanted held. I happily picked him up. He wrapped his legs around me, laid his head down and fell asleep. He felt warm so I told Brenda and turns out, he has malaria too. We gave him some medicine and cookies so he was happy.

3 comments:

  1. Hello beautiful! I pray that you both will be completely healed! Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie what a beautiful picture of you and your buddy. Praying for your healing and for you as you continue to minister to these precious people. Love you from Jonah's grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're feeling better Katie! What an adorable picture.
    miss you!

    ReplyDelete